The Mission Place neighborhood is located on Windsor Ave, between 7th St and 3rd St in Downtown Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.
A survey from May 1904 shows the area where this home is located was originally called the North Baltimore Heights subdivision. According to the Arizona Republic in July 1912, Costley & Co., advertises “5 Acres in North Baltimore Heights on car line. The air is better here.” On March 14, 1913, four landowners, H.B. and Margaret Chaney, F.H. Sellner and John P. Orme created the 24 parcels into the Mission Place subdivision. H.B. Chaney and F.H. Sellner were well known cement contractors, having an office at the Adams Hotel. Chaney and Sellner placed ads in the Arizona Republic for trade, and were reported on often for winning city projects, or for being notable Phoenicians.
Another neighborhood founder is the endeared John P. Orme, who was featured in the Portrait and Biographic Record of Arizona, published in 1901, “Among the many undertakings of Mr.Orme worthy of mention is the part taken by him as one of the three constructors of the Maricopa canal, which has proved of incalculable benefit, and which is eighteen miles line.” The street we now know as Windsor Ave., was then named Orme Ave., and it is assumed it was in living honor to Mr.Orme. An article in the Arizona Republic in March 1911, states “H.B. Chaney, the well known cement contractor, returned Thursday from a business trip to Los Angeles. He spent about a week in that city and found it about the liveliest place he ever saw, but not a bit livelier than he is convinced Phoenix is going to be before long.” You can only imagine what Mr.Chaney would think of Phoenix now, 106 years later.
In 1913 the Arizona Republic describes, “Title Insurance is More in-Fashion,” reporting Sellner and Chaney had Mission place handled on the guarantee title plan which was very progressive at the time. Fast forward to 1915, when Arizona Republic buzzes “More Lots Sold,” “Mrs.Diehn purchased three desirable lots in the Mission Place.”
Interested in buying or selling a historic home? Call Francesca Hamilton at 480-382-8514 today.